Aimee Mann - Save Me


We grow up hearing tales about the Prince Charming who saves the princess from the dragon-guarded tower, the superhero who saves civilians from a cliff-bound train, the god above who saves mortals from temptation. And maybe it's because the only serious advice I remember my mother giving me is to "never trust anyone but [myself]" or because I grew up in an atheistic household, but I'd never been able to accept stuff like this -- the hope that anyone, fictional or real, would swoop down and rescue me in my darkest moments. But by some unbelievable miracle, someone asked me what's wrong? and I actually told them. Despite the cynicism and the stubbornness. And my opinion on salvation is this:

You need to save yourself before you can let anyone else save you. Perhaps that means opening your heart or throwing away the shitload of pessimism and untrustworthiness you've developed over the years... maybe that means liking yourself for once... but unless you can accept that it's okay to be weak, okay to ask for help, and it's actually okay to trust someone other than yourself... you'll be left waiting on a hero that never steps out of the movie screen.

0 comments: